Tuesday 29 January 2013

How Not To Write a Lecture

I had spent lots of time looking for examples for my lecture on Communicating Science to show how news stories can lose the evidence and how the facts can get lost. Then I delivered it today and my verdict is - well that didn't work did it.

The illustrations and examples are fine except for the end and the Conspiracy Theories which need to be more current and relevant. What was wrong was the structure. It did not flow. There was no pathway to follow and no consistency. It was just one silly story after another. So back to the drawing board but this also shows me the problems with having a massively parallel narrative as a method for teaching as the students will end up in the same position as the students today - with an over-whelming jumble of fact that they cannot relate to concrete situations they might be in.

No comments: